We are presently rebuilding our Worm Stock and Orders for Worms Only will be available February 1st! Worms with purchase of Worm Café Set Up will be shipped after Christmas! Worms are still available for Garden Tower II Kits.
With over 4,000 species of earthworms, only 3 are considered FRESH GARBAGE Composting Worms.
- Eisenia foetida
“Composting “Tiger or Yellow Tail”
- Excavatus “Composting Blue”
- Rubellus “Composting Red Wiggler”
- When you purchase from Our Vital Earth, you receive Eisenia foetida and Rubellus. Our Finest Fresh Garbage Composting Worms have been found capable of transforming huge quantities of fresh garbage into something very valuable.
The “Composting Red Wiggler” is more familiar to us here in the United States. They have a very big appetite and can eat 1 to 1 ½ times their weight every day. The other two process at different levels giving us superior worm castings and tea. These composting worm’s excretions, known as castings and the washing of the worm, urine, known as worm tea, contain plant growth regulators and other substances. This produces nature’s most remarkable natural form of plant care, instead of using chemical fertilizers, insecticides, and fungicides.
The population of these composting worms can grow very rapidly. When worms breed, both male and female have reproductive organs. During mating, two worms align themselves in a head to tail position. A thick layer of mucus is produced and the two worms aligned, discharge sperm cells, and then separate from each other. A broad ring forms around each worm’s body which receive the eggs and sperm cells as the worm works its body backwards from inside this ring. Eventually, the ring passes over the worms’ head to form a cocoon, which house a number of eggs(a process much like slipping out of a shirt over our heads).
More about these Fresh Garbage Composting Worm:
- No eyes, ears, arms or legs, but have both sex organs
- Breathe through skin, having 2-5 pair of hearts, pumping cold blood
- Very strong and muscular and work tirelessly
- Environment’s recycler, eating my body weight of your garbage per day
- Produce 3-4 cocoons per week with 83% hatch rate
- 32-73 days for approximately 3 worms to emerge per cocoon
- Clear to opaque and very small at birth
- eggs become adult worms ready to reproduce in approximately 149 days or 5 months.
The information above on the growth rate of the Eisenia Foetida is from an excellent book,
“Biology and Ecology of Earthworms”, by C.A Edwards and P.J. Bohien
Live Worms are shipped USPS Priority Mail on Monday and Tuesday, ensuring they arive alive!
ATTENTION: When Worms are in your cart during checkout, then the complete order is shipped priority. To avoid this, please order Worms separately from all other products. Thank-you!